Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Kentucky Weather

I have to take a moment to get something off my chest.  I am seeing too many meteorologists playing the business game.  What is the “business game” you ask?  It’s when you use your title to convince people that big storms are coming in order to increase your website traffic, or your TV ratings, or whatever the case may be.  I read from one of them that you should “forecast the pattern”…but the guy who wrote this hasn’t been forecasting the pattern at all because the pattern in January 2013 would suggest that a continuation of mild conditions will continue, and yet every single day to this guy is a new snow storm and arctic outbreak just around the corner.  It’s maddening.

 

“This is a supercharged pattern!”  Or is it?

 

Let me explain what’s really going on.  What’s really going on is that we’re headed into the middle of the month with only 0.19” of precip. on the board.  We’re going into the middle of the month with an average temperature of 33 degrees which is spot-on normal for this time of year.  We’ve put zero snowfall on the ground this month.  We are in a BORING stretch of weather that is being dictated by the PATTERN.  The AO index is running positive, the NAO is running positive, and when that happens you typically don’t see wild swings in the weather and you don’t see big blasts of cold air into the eastern U.S. either.  Any meteorologist worth his salt would have seen this coming at the end of December.  Yet…there are some who continue to beat the drum.  “The cold blast is coming!  The snow is coming!”.  Well, I suppose eventually that will become true.  Someday.  Maybe that’s what they’re hoping for.

 

I will continue to be honest and straightforward like I’ve always been.  I have nothing to lose or gain because I do this on my own dime and I don’t get paid for it.  It’s funny, because the guys doing TV weather still have absolute control over the minds of the masses, even in 2013.  You can show these folks what the pattern really holds for us, but they are hypnotized.  As the old saying goes, “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink”.  I swear I think some of these guys are car salesmen.  They tell people what they want to hear just to increase business.  Do you want to constantly hear that snow is coming to your yard, even when it’s not?  Do you want a weather guy or girl who constantly gets your hopes up?  Or one who tells you what the data is showing?  It just drives me crazy…because these mets. are the ones who give all of us a bad reputation for being “wrong”.

 

Get ready for a continuation of average temperatures through January, and wet conditions beginning this weekend.  Flooding may be a concern, but snow is not.  We’ve got to get the global patterns to switch around so that we can get some winter weather in here, hopefully in February.  Time will tell.  But don’t listen to the guy who says all heck is about to break loose in Kentucky next week…that wild weather is coming…  he’s just leading you along.

 

 

Have a good day,

 

Shawn

2 comments:

  1. Just want to say I appreciate you posts and your comments. Always good to see multiple perspectives on these things instead of listening to just one person's views.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My thoughts are not always popular to the lemmings, but I am always honest and upfront. I am very nice to those who appreciate what I do. And, I can back up what I say with data. I don't just blindly tell people what they want to hear. I love snow just as much as the next guy! But none of us can wish it into being. Take care and have a great week.

      Delete